Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Full of Regret

Dear Job Search Girls:

I was recently quit from my job that I have been working at for several years.  The reason I quit was because I had asked for a raise that my employer did not agree with and after a lengthy argument I yelled at my boss and quit.  Looking back now, I have my regrets.  A friend reminded me that this employer is the only reference I have and that getting another job is going to be difficult without a reference!!  What do I do?  Do I apologize?  How do I know if my ex-boss will give me a good reference?

Signed, Full of Regret

Dear Full of Regret:
While this is a tough situation; there may be a way to patch things up with your ex-boss and still get a good reference from him.  I would start off my making an appointment to speak to your old boss in person and apologize for what happened.  Since you are feeling regret, I would imagine that maybe a part of the argument was unjustified.  Once you have apologized and worked things out, you can then ask your boss if they will still be a reference for you. Also, perhaps you can work things out enough to go back to your job!
From: Sunny

Sassy:  Wow, that is certainly a predicament you got yourself into, but it sounds like it was for good reason!  If you felt like you deserved a raise, well then you probably did and if your boss can't see the hard work you're doing than its better you quit anyways!  I would apologize, but don't ask for your job back - look for an employer where you will be treated properly!  Good Luck!

Sunny:  Sassy, if she wants her job back...that is ok too!  Let's try and focus on the reference part of the letter.  If the employer refuses to give you a reference then you could always ask a co-worker that knows the type of work you have done, and a good friend who can be a character reference.  Just because your boss and you had a falling out, doesn't mean you can't still get a good reference for the work that you have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment