Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lots of Job Interviews! No Job Offers!

Dear Job SOS,
I don't have a problem getting job interviews but I sure seem to have a problem getting a job. I am highly qualified, present myself professionally and am pleasant to be around.
At first I was blaming the employer until I realized after role playing an interview with a friend that I am probably not getting a job because I am a chatterbox in the interview. When I am asked a question, I go on and on. I love to talk! The problem is, I don't know when to stop. How can I get a grip of my incessant chattering in the interview? Seeking advice.
From Chatterbox

Dear Chatterbox,
First of all, I must commend you on your awareness of your problem. That is the first step in solving your dilemma. Being aware and facing your weakness is crucial in reaching your employment goal.  Good for you!
Now that you realize it, you can work with it. 

Role playing is a great tool for practicing interviewing and it sounds like you are doing that now. My advice is to keep on doing it. It is true that practice makes perfect!
I also suggest that you bite your tongue - literally - in the interview. Answer the question in a manner that is specific and to the point and then stop. Try using silent self-talk such as saying the word STOP to yourself. When you feel the urge to keep going, say NO!

Keep reminding yourself that there will be opportunities to speak more about yourself when you are hired. Possibly you feel inclined to talk more because you are nervous. If that is the case, utilize techniques which help you to relax; be yourself and remember to breathe.

Hope this helps and good luck in your job search.
Keep at it and you will find the light at the end of the job search tunnel!
From Sunny

SASSY: Come on Sunny! Get real. Obviously Chatterbox has some deep-rooted issues happening. Feeling the need to talk about yourself non-stop in an interview is a problem. Maybe Chatterbox should be getting some professional help about this.

SUNNY: Oh, please Sassy! Not everyone who likes to talk has deep issues going on. Maybe s/he has a passion for the job and talks more when excited. Sometimes when people are nervous, they talk a lot. There could be a number of reasons. The important thing is that Chatterbox has self-awareness and this awareness will bring about change.

SASSY: Okay, fine. But to think that self-talk is going to be the answer to the problem is unrealistic. Easier said than done! Chatterbox is not going to stop chattering overnight.

SUNNY: Possibly, but for all we know, now that Chatterbox is aware of the problem, the talking in the interview might stop naturally. And practicing interview questions really does help. If Chatterbox is determined to work on this, it's only a matter of time before s/he lands a job. And if it does continue to be a problem, then,  possibly Chatterbox needs to explore careers which focus on his/her ability to talk.

SASSY: True enough, I guess talking is considered a skill in some professions. I hadn't thought about it that way! Thanks for the insight Sunny!
   
SUNNY: You're welcome Sassy. Remember, it is important to have a positive attitude, persistence and determination and  eventually you will find the light at the end of the job search tunnel!

2 comments: