Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Down and Out

Dear Job Search Girls

I am not motivated to look for work anymore.  I have been unemployed for too long.  I don't want to even get out of bed in the morning and I would rather watch TV than look at another job board, newspaper or talk to someone about a job.  I don't have all this "positiveness" and "light" that you two are talking about and I don't know how you expect someone who has been out of work for so long to even stay motivated and bother looking for work.  It's clear that no one will hire me and the longer I am out of work, the less appealing I am to employers.  I have never been unemployed before and I feel like a loser.
From: Down and Out

Dear Down and Out:

Sunny:  Your situation is tough, and I can relate to that.  I was in a similar situation for about a year.  You are right, its hard to get out of bed in the morning when you don't have anything to do other than sort through countless job ads, tailor resume after resume, or go to an interview; all that effort and you're not landing the job!  But you do need to stay positive, no matter how you get yourself to your positive spot, you need to remain focused on that.  It will work out and you will find employment soon enough! 
Sassy:  Maybe your job search skills need some fine tuning!  Have you checked your cover letter and resume to see if they are properly formatted, edited for errors and that it is targeting the type of employment that you applyig for?  Maybe you are applying for positons that you are under or over qualified for.  I think that you should take the time to really reflect on this experinece.  Write down a few things from your last interview; what could you improve upon?  Have a good friend or family member give you some constructive feedback to ensure you are on the right track.  I know at times "staying positive" is WAY easier said than done... but you have to do it.  Wake up every morning and tell yourself:  "Today, I'm going to find a job" or "Today, Im going to accomplish something that will move me forward in my job search".

Sunny: And remember,  job search is a full time job AND it takes patience. Try not to be so hard on yourself! You are not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment