Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Barrier After Barrier

Dear Job SOS,

I don't understand why I have been so unfortunate in my job search. Every time I turn around, I am confronted with a barrier.
For example, yesterday, as usual, I began my job search schedule and when I turned on my computer, I had a black screen; couldn't access it so I packed up my stuff and went to the library to use a computer. When I got to the library, I realized I didn't have my wallet so I had to go home to get it. By the time I got back to the library, all the computers were being used and I had to wait an hour. When I finally was able to get to a computer, and accessed my email account, I discovered that my inbox and sent mail had disappeared. Turned out my account had been swept by a virus.
Because I had assumed I could access my resume on my email, I didn't bring my flashdrive with my resume on it to the library, so I was unable to apply for any jobs.
When I left the library, I was almost hit by a car while crossing the street. The driver yelled at me, "Get a move on it, you old bat!"
When I called a friend to talk about it, my phone battery died. It was then I burst into tears!
Why me? I don't understand why life is so difficult.

From Barrier After Barrier





Dear Barrier After Barrier,

Sounds like your day was pretty upsetting; every time you turned around something happened that prevented you from moving forward in your job search. It's important to recognize that those types of days will happen periodically and it's okay. It's how you deal with it that matters.
It's also important to give yourself permission to take a day off from job searching especially if things are not happening positively. Not something you want to make a habit of, but okay periodically.
Easier said than done, but sometimes it's best to let things 'roll' off of you. Some things are not worth stressing over. At least, not for a long period of time!
Ask yourself what you can learn from your experiences and utilize this information to continue to move forward in your job search. For instance, it's important to utilize various job search strategies into your daily and weekly plans such as networking, cold calling and informational interviews. It is important that your job search is not solely focused on the computer. Not only is it important to have an assorted job search plan to cover all avenues but it comes in handy when your computer breaks down!
And, it's okay to cry! Sometimes life is difficult and learning ways to cope with the difficulties is what makes us stronger.
Journalling and/or talking to someone are ways of working through the difficulties. So, plug in your phone and try calling your friend again!
Remember- determination, persistence and patience are important qualities when it comes to job search and they are also important qualities when it comes to dealing with whatever life throws at you!
                                                                      
From Sunny + Sassy                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment